Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

On Beginning with the End in Mind


L.A. - an end goal I kept in mind.

Last week I briefly mentioned how in order for me to become a more effective person I need to, "Begin with the end in mind."

I'm a dreamer but I've never been much of a planner. There's a difference right? I hope and imagine constantly. I imagine how I'd like my life to end up, the kind of environment I'd like to be working in, or things like my future home with a wonderful husband. What I find missing from those end results is the actual equation to yield them. I'll admit that I lack the sense of internal power and confidence in my own direct influence that Stephen R. Covey speaks of in his book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Most of my life I did not truly believe that I can literally make those things I dreamt and hoped for happen. Although, I spoke a lot about my plans for the future, deep down I wasn't realistic with what I had to do to get there and sadly, thought I'd get lucky and be given an opportunity. I wandered aimlessly at times or stayed in unchallenging situations with work and school only because I lacked the motivation to take responsibility for the power I was unknowingly capable of having. I can even say that I maintained relationships because I didn't realize that I was deserving enough to receive, work towards, and contribute to better ones.

Times that had I begun with the end in mind were when I was under a "temporary environmental pressure" like a summer's diet or the new year which are both times where everyone was setting a goal. Now that I look back I realize that I gave something up or made a resolution because everyone else around me was doing the same. That environmental pressure was not permanent though and as soon as the hype died down, so did my motivation to stick with my promise.

These past 6 months have been testimonies to beginning with the end in mind. I began little by little to set specific and practical goals for myself and now that some time has passed I am seeing positive results of my powerful thoughts that I didn't allow to be knocked down by insecurities or road blocks along the way. This progress is motivating and I have continued to apply this habit to my work and personal life. They say it takes 21 days to form a new habit and although it's been what seems like 21 years of ineffective thinking, my paradigm shift in a new direction is allowing me to effectively begin with the end in mind.

1 comment:

Amber said...

What a good post. I, too, am the same way. I dream big with very little planning as to how I'm going to get there. Then I jump in, and usually don't get very far. I like how you've analyzed it here. I also like that you're realizing you are like this and are making small steps to change it. Making small goals is so important... baby steps! Good luck :) Lovely post.

xox, amber